The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office declined today to file an involuntary manslaughter charge against a man accused of lying to a 911 dispatcher about being robbed by two armed men, one of whom was later fatally shot by Pasadena police.
Prosecutors referred the potential case against Oscar Felipe Carrillo to
Carrillo alleged in a 911 call on March 24 that he had been robbed by two men at gunpoint. He later admitted that, while his backpack had been stolen, the suspects were not armed, authorities said.
Based on the 911 call, officers who responded to the scene believed the suspects involved in the robbery had weapons, police said. They found 19-year-old Kendrec Lavelle McDade running near Sunset Avenue and Orange Grove Boulevard. He was observed clutching his waistband, and he was shot when he ran toward a police vehicle, according to the worksheet. McDade was not armed.
Carrillo later admitted lying to the 911 operator in an attempt to generate a quicker police response time to the theft from his car, according to the charge evaluation worksheet released by the District Attorney's Office.
Prosecutors had asked April 2 for further investigation on the potential case against Carrillo.
"After a thorough review of the facts and evidence, this office declines to file criminal charges against Oscar Carrillo for involuntary manslaughter,'" Deputy District Attorney Scott Goodwin wrote in the charge evaluation worksheet.
Carrillo's act was one in a series of acts, beginning with the decedent's own conduct, that culminated in the fatal shooting,'' the prosecutor wrote.
"The decedent's subsequent flight from the police and decision to run at the officer's vehicle were significant intervening factors that were not a reasonably foreseeable consequence of Carrillo's 911 call."
Pasadena spokesman William Boyer said city prosecutors had not yet received the paperwork from the District Attorney's Office. He said prosecutors would review the case once it is received.
The teenage boy who authorities said was with McDade admitted a Juvenile Court petition on May 1 accusing him of one felony count of grand theft, two felony counts of commercial burglary and one misdemeanor count of failing to register as a gang member. The 17-year-old was immediately sentenced to six months in camp community placement.